Recipients of the
Prestigious Mahaveer Award Over the Years
Lord Mahaveer is the 24th teacher in the Jain tradition and was an apostle of Ahimsa (non violence). These awards have been presented to individuals and organisations who have shown exceptional compassion for our animal friends.
June 1986 in Croydon
• Late Neville Hall of Croydon who was very active in the Vegetarian Society for many years.
July 1987 at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, London
• Late Peter Roberts founder of Compassion in Farming
• David Whiting. He exposed many illegal abuses of animals and continues to do so. He is the step son of Lord Dowding commander of the battle of Britain. Lady Dowding his mother was the founder of Beauty without Cruelty.
August 1987, Southampton
• Southampton Animal Aid at Southampton Hindu Temple.
the first ever vegetarian rally in Hyde Park
• Juliet Gelately who went on to form Viva! The highly effective animal rights and vegetarian organisation.
• Compassion in World Farming and Kerry Brown of World Wildlife Fund
• Professor Andrew Lindsey
• Late Maxwell Lea. Maxwell was a leading figure in the UK Vegetarian Society as well as the International Vegetarian Union.
• Robb Johnson famous musician and ardent campaigner for animal rights and vegetarianism.
• Late Tony Banks MP and ardent animal rights campaigner.
• Hillary Nimmo
Southall Vegetarian Festival
• Dave and Helen who took on the mighty McDonalds and inspired countless people to fight against all odds! Their epic battle with McDonalds is the longest legal battle in British history!
• Spike Milligan
• Jill Phipps (posthumously). Jill died in a tragic accident while fighting the desperate fight to stop the export of calf’s to Europe from Coventry.
• Late Vicky Moore who was severely wounded while trying to stop a bull fighting event in Spain.
• Rossie Catford.
• Michael Mansfield QC. Michael speaks out for animals and is a proud vegetarian.
• Carla Lane famous TV personality dedicated totally to animals.
• Georgina Kennedy, Molga Salvalaggio and late Michael Sutcliffe who was a veteran campaigner for animal rights and active member of Animal Aid and Viva!
• Joan Court who has inspired a whole generation of people to fight for animal rights.
• Francisco Martin a leading figure in the International Vegetarian Movement.
• Heather James, the Vegetarian Society of UK, the Vegan Society of UK, Animal Aid, Viva, the Fox Project, PETA, Compassion in World Farming.
• Late Lord Weatherill former speaker of parliament.
• Tony Benn (veteran politician)
• Pat Mear, Croydon Vegan Activist
• Jane Cuthbert
• Eileen Clarke
• Kaylie Day and Carol Webb for their love and care of animals at their sanctuary
• Steve Christmas
• Kishorebhai Shah (Jivdaya) based in Antwerpe, Belgium
• Parsuram Prabhu for feeding tens of thousands of people in many parts of the world as part of Food for Life project.
• Sue Dickens
• Dan Sidley
• Lord Parsvanath Award presented to Maneka Gandhi animal rights activist and MP in India
• Lord Parsvanath Award presented to Arjuna Wholefoods, Cambridge
• Rainbow Cafe, Cambridge
• Lynn Sawyer
• Beryl Spence
• Dharmaj K. Ranka
• Late Arthur Ling who was first to market Vegan (Soya) milk
• Late Donald Watson founder of the Vegan Society
• One Stop Thali, Restaurant & Cafe, Bristol
Houses of Parliament
• Swami Ramdev famous Yoga guru and anti meat campaigner
• Sir Mota Singh QC
Houses of Parliament
• Sri Sri Ravi Shankar famous Yoga guru with a huge following
• Lord Swaraj Paul
• Sri Jaggiji Maharaj famous guru with a huge following
• Darren Collis of the Sea Shepherd which confronts the Japanese fishing vessels hunting for whales in the Atlantic Ocean
• Dada Vaswani famous guru promoting vegetarianism everywhere
• Supreme Master Ching Hai. Supreme Master Ching Hai and her followers promote vegetarianism all over the world and they have 24 hour TV channel promoting vegetarianism and compassion to animals
• Mata Amritanandmayi (Amma). Amma is famous for her hugging devotees and preaching compassion and love towards all. She has hugged over 35 million people.
• Leslie Tarleton who runs two animal sanctuaries.
• Pat Smith of the Veggies of Nottingham for promoting vegan food all over the country.
House of Parliament, London
• His Holiness Brahmrishi Shree Kumar Swamiji of the Veggies of Nottingham for promoting vegan food all over the country.
• Maharaz Tarlochan Das Jee of the Veggies of Nottingham for promoting vegan food all over the country.